Genesis eNews is the best WordPress plugin for newsletter signups, as it supports many different newsletter applications. It is also easy to use and to style with some simple css. All of my premade WordPress themes come with a styled Genesis eNews Widget matched perfectly to the theme! In this tutorial, I will explain step by step how to connect Genesis eNews Extended to your MailChimp newsletter.
Setting up the Plugin and Newsletter
- Install the Genesis eNews Extended plugin through your plugin dashboard by going to Plugins > Add New, or download it here then upload it to your installed plugins.
- If you haven’t already done so, you will need to create your MailChimp account and set up a newsletter by “creating a list” from the MailChimp homepage. You will then receive a code that we will be placing in the Genesis eNews Extended widget.
Place the Code into the Widget
- In your MailChimp dashboard, go to Lists > Click list you want to use > Sign Up Forms > Embedded > Naked. You will then see a code.
- Back at your WordPress widget area, drag and drop your Genesis eNews Extended widget into the area you want it to be displayed. The form will look like this:
- Now we need to use that code! Copy the highlighted area after the “form action” and between the two quotes.
- Paste this code in the section of your widget that says “form action”. This tells the form exactly what to do when somebody signs up for your newsletter.
Register First Name, Last Name & Email Fields
- In the same code, you will see the labels for the different fields. (FNAME, LNAME and EMAIL). You will need to enter in the label exactly as it appears in the code in order for that specific field to show up. If you want to leave one of the fields out, just leave that label blank. It should now look like this:
Now your newsletter is connected to MailChimp! You can customize what you want the different fields to say by filling out the fields labeled “first name input text”, “last name input text”, and “email input text”. You can also customize the title and description of your MailChimp form. If you want to style your form differently, you can easily do so with some CSS. Check out this simple tutorial on customizing your Genesis eNews widget!